Monday, February 11, 2013

New Orleans Praline Brownies

These dangerously good brownies are a recipe from Betty Crocker. I like my brownies extra fudgey, so I always cook for less time than recipes call for. Enjoy!
 
Brownies:
  • 1 box fudge brownie mix (I used Ghirardelli)
  • water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on brownie box 
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans  
Praline Frosting:
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 6 Tbsp butter
  • 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of 9"x13" pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.

Make brownies as directed on box for fudge brownies (adding water, oil, and eggs). Stir in pecans. 
Bake as directed (slightly under cook) then cool for about an hour then lift aluminum foil and brownies from pan leaving the brownies on the foil. I did this, to make the pan easier to clean so the icing could pour down the sides.
In a small-medium sized saucepan, mix whipping cream, butter, and brown sugar.
Remove from heat, then stir in toasted pecans, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
Cool 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Pour and spread frosting over brownies. Allow to set for a few minutes before cutting into squares. 





5 comments:

  1. could you please clarify your instructions for cooking the praline sauce for the brownies - "remove from heat" ??? How long to cook in the small/medium pan before adding the pecans, sugar and vanilla? I understand "cool" should be "cook".
    I want to make these Tuesday!!
    Thanks!
    Roberta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roberta, I apologize if the directions are a bit confusing, I guess I was a little chocolate wasted on the brownies while posting this! Hopefully this will clarify...In medium saucepan, mix cream, butter and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Immediately stir in pecans, powdered sugar and vanilla. Cool 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Spread frosting over brownies. Allow to stand to set before cutting. These really are yummy and I like mine a little on the gooey side, so I under cook the brownies to make them more fudgey and gooey!
      Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much!!! Whew, now I shouldn't screw them up!!! :-)

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much - will make them soon!

      Delete
    4. You're welcome! They are really easy, especially since you can make any brownies you wish to go with the topping. I liked the praline topping like more of a glaze rather than hard, so I didn't cool it very long before pouring on top of the brownies. I know you'll do great!

      Delete