Sunday, January 13, 2013

Collard Greens

I love collard greens, but I don't like them tossed in vinegar. I've got a simple recipe that takes a while, but is definitely worth the wait.  I like mine with a little kick to them, so I normally add more hot sauce than I list below. If you don't have a cast iron dutch oven-get one! It's one of the most used & versatile items in my kitchen, plus it can be used in the oven or on top of the stove. Also keep in mind greens cook down, so what may look like a lot will only turn out to serve a few.

Collard Greens
8 slices of smoked turkey bacon (or veggie bacon)-cut in 1/2 in pieces
1 medium Vidalia onion or other sweet onion, diced
1 stick of butter
2 lbs of collard greens, washed, stems removed, spined, and leaves cut into 1/2 inch strips (this can be done after taking the spine out, stack several leaves, roll, and slice)
Salt to taste
1 Tablespoon Hot Sauce-I use Texas Petes Hotter Sauce
2 cups water

In a cast iron dutch oven cook bacon until done, about 5 miuntes.
Add diced onion and butter and cook until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
Add hot sauce and water and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook about 15 minutes.
Add the collard greens and cook uncovered until very soft (about 3 hours or longer).
Add a little more water if needed.
Season with salt to taste.






No comments:

Post a Comment